John Woolley’s shooting career has been long and distinguished. It has moved him to become one of the world’s top wingshooters and sporting clays instructors. Many of today’s winning international shooters have been John’s students.
John started his teaching career in England, at his well known shooting school, Fieldsports. The top European sporting clays magazine, “Sporting Gun,” publicized John’s articles because of his extensive knowledge and experience. John’s shooting career has included winning the World Professional Doubles Championship in 1987 and the World Sporting Clays Championship in 1990. He has represented Great Britain many times on their four man National Team and twelve gold medals and one silver remain in his collection.
John has been an ambassador to wingshooting in the United States and is proud to have been asked to serve as Captain of both the US Veterans Sporting Clays team as well as the Veterans FITASC team. In addition, in 2015, John was inducted into the National Sporting Clays Association’s Hall of Fame.
John has also become a desired target setter. FITASC, with 55 countries included in its membership, has selected John to design many of their championship courses. These include:
- 1990: The European Championship course in Cyprus
- 1991: The World Championship course in Andorra *
- 1991: The European Championship course in Dornburg, Germany *
- 1991: The Pan American Championship course in Colorado Springs, Colorado *
- 1991: The World Cup Final in Anglesey, Wales *
* John is the only person to design all four major events in the world calendar
- 1992: The World championship course in Okemo, Vermont
- 1994: The Pan American Championship course in Grinders Switch near Nashville, Tennessee
- Private courses are also among his portfolio
The FITASC organization has also entrusted John with heading and teaching the world’s first international course design program. This program certifies successful candidates as having the necessary qualities to design courses for international sporting clays championships.
John currently competes using a Caesar Guerini Invictus III Sporting
and offers shooting lessons through his Woolley Shooting Clinics
in St. Augustine, Florida.